Under minimal supervision, manages all aspects of the business to ensure success at the Gettysburg Wine Shop. This includes; managing retail and food service operations in a manner that ensures a rich consumer experience, building consumer loyalty, and reflecting the brand essence. Primary functions include; opening and closing duties, cash handling, associate training and development, planning and executing wine shop events, point-of-sale operations, product knowledge, product presentations, wine and food sales and service, and other duties as assigned, all while ensuring a safe environment for employees and our guests.
- Create and update daily task list for yourself and other wine shop employees.
- Supervise sales associates to ensure that winery standards are being met.
- Able to accurately follow and communicate instructions and directions to associates.
- Make sure wine shop is actively covered during hours of operation.
- Completes end of day reports, including drawer closeouts, cash handling, closing out credit card machines, and sending daily email to managers and owner.
- Complete financial analyses to determine the success of an event or promotion.
- Responsible for visual merchandising and displays.
- Work with local businesses to develop partnerships and relationships.
- Examine opening and closing checklists after all tasks have been performed and verify that all tasks have been completed according to winery standards.
- Communicate tenant comments and questions to the Farm Winery.
- Act as point person during emergencies, including evacuation of building or grounds.
- Must be able to work around alcohol in a responsible manner.
- Must possess a positive attitude and desire to work hard and learn.
- Must be able to work quickly and reliably, in groups or alone, with or without supervision.
- Must be able to work safely and be safety conscious, follow and enforce all written & verbal SOP’s (Standard Operational Procedures) as well as enforce and adhere to safe practices.
- Able to build a healthy rapport with coworkers, customers, and vendors.
- Represent the company and brand, professionally, graciously and enthusiastically.
- Maintain satisfactory attendance, to include timeliness.
- Present selected wines for tasting and assist consumers with their purchases.
- Function as an informed resource for consumers regarding winemaking, winegrowing, wine vintages, availability of products and brand awards/accolades.
- Become RAMP (Responsible Alcohol Management Program) certified.
- Check identification as required by state regulation for serving alcoholic beverages.
- Recognize the symptoms of intoxication and handle the situation as required by PA law and house policy.
- Operate point of sale machines and credit card terminals accurately and efficiently.
- Process phone orders and wine shipping orders in compliance with federal and state regulations. This includes communicating with guests via e-mail and phone.
- Promote membership in the case clubs.
- Ensure the wine shop is neat, clean, and visually appealing.
- Stock wine, merchandise, and food supplies as needed.
- Conduct regular wine inventory.
- Understand and effectively communicate the brand’s message.
- Support special events, tour groups, and private wine tastings.
- Serve as a winery representative during outside promotional functions.
- This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required.
- Proficient at Point of Sale operations, Excel, and the entire Microsoft Office Suite.
- At least two years Tasting room, retail sales, tourism, food service or hospitality experience.
- Skilled in communication, presentation, sales and customer service.
- Must be able to pass the ServeSafe food safety test (Manager level)
- Must be able to pass the Responsible Alcohol Management Program (RAMP) test.
- Required to be 21 years of age or older.
- Required to work weekends and evenings.
- Required to repetitively lift and move cases of product which weigh up to 40 pounds.
- Must be able to stand for up to eight consecutive hours.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is sometimes required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel, and to talk or hear. The employee is often required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment ranges from quiet to moderately loud.
- Compensation commensurate with experience.
- This is a salaried position, which is exempt from overtime.
- Managers typically work between 40-45 hours per week depending on the needs of the business.
- This is not a tips-eligible position.
- Job Type: Full-time – Salary